Death toll from Japan quake climbs to 34 as rescuers search damaged mall
The death toll climbed to 34 from a powerful earthquake in southwestern Japan that set off an explosion at a mall, toppled a factory chimney and flattened homes, the Kumamoto prefectural government said on Friday.
The magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit Japan's southern main island of Kyushu on Tuesday.
Officials said 34 deaths had been confirmed as related to the disaster, with one more death still under investigation.
On Thursday authorities said more than 80 people had been injured, five of them seriously.
Searchers continued to work in the Kumamoto area on Friday, including at the site of the collapsed mall.
Japan Quake Toll Hits 35 as Rescuers Search Mall
- Death toll from earthquake in southwestern Japan rises to 35 Anadolu Agency —
- Death toll from southwestern Japan quake climbs to 34 NPR —
- Sniffer dogs search mall wrecked by massive Japan quake as toll rises to 35 The Straits Times —
- Death toll from Japan earthquake rises to 34 Rappler —
- Kumamoto government says the death toll from the southwestern Japan quake climbs to 34 ABC News —